Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Listener ... What kind am I?

Listener ... What kind am I? 

          Before that, I asked myself. Am I a listener? Do I like listening? Am I good at it or not? To answer all that questions, I would say, I DON'T KNOW. I DON'T REALLY KNOW. 

          But...

          Upon evaluating myself, I see that I'm the so called "engager" type. These are people who listen with their eyes, ears, mind and heart. People like this tend to listen attentively. This one is quite a good label but I'm not saying that I'm always like this. Sometimes it depends. 


          At home, I'm much of the opposite. In fact, I'm the deaf-est member. 

"Ate ang bingi mo talaga!" 

          That's the usual lines. I'm not doing it on purpose. It's just that my sensory pulses were not acting coordinately that's why I don't understand what they were saying and not even notice that they were calling me. So.. enough of the sciences. To make it short, I find it weird that whenever I'm home, I'm out of focus. 


          At school, I think I listen not only because I need to but also it's kind of a ritual to me. This is where I'm some part of the "engager" type of listener. The difference I've observed to some of my block mates was that if a teacher let's say is boring and the topic is not interesting then they will go to their "own worlds" already. I remember in HS, a friend of mine told me how I manage to listen at a long period of lazy hour. I replied with a question. "You, how did you manage to talk to other and do stuffs and worst sleep while someones talking in front?" "If you want to learn and be respected, you should learn how to respect others too." I added then smiled. 


          When conversing to others, I listen well because it's my way of responding to them. Sometimes I let them do much of the talking. When a person consults or talks to me, again, I listen BUT filters are combative! 


          All in all, I can't say that I'm good in listening. To be honest, not all times that I listen is productive. I, too, get bored specially if it really is but I try as much as I could to absorbs everything. If a message passes through my left ear, it can be stored or just fly out of my right ear. Just a sharing, whenever we have a listening test, I don't get the perfect score. It 's a proof that I can't easily process information after hearing them. 


         TAKE NOTE! No matter what type of listener you are, still there were rooms for improvement and changes. Just be in it. :)







sources: http://bit.ly/ck8za1
             http://bit.ly/a5RUMK

1 comment:

  1. Well, I think you listen fairly well in class. I agree about you being the engager type. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete